Monday, November 14, 2011

Changes


There is a great deal that has changed in the past month. It continually amazes me how much can chance in 24 hours. At the beginning, I was here as a combination English teacher and admin assistant. Howsoever, this is no longer the case. I think they started to realize just how unsuited for that position I would be when I couldn’t speak five words of Kurdish. And I’ve got about 100  Arabic words as well. The combination is less then conducive to a job that involves sorting papers in both of those languages. There was probably a desperate scramble in there somewhere where they had to decide what on earth to do with this American woman they hired. I must say, I lucked out in this scramble. I was teaching them business English all throughout this time and during this time they realized that I actually do know what I am talking about when it comes to business. Apparently I solidified my usefulness when I explained how I saved myself 1500 on airline tickets home for the holidays by booking them separately instead of together.
All this to say, I have a new job. I will now be working in their procurement department. Basically this means I buy stuff. We import electronics, tea, coffee, rice and innumerable other things. I’m starting off smallish – purchasing the appliances, coffee and rice.  I think this is a more then excellent opportunity with great room to grow. There will be a certain amount of traveling involved, China, Singapore, London to visit our suppliers and to make contacts. The company is thinking of expanding into the American market which could mean some trips home! I’m very excited about this opportunity even though it meant that I had to sign on for two years instead of the initial one. If everything stays stable in the security situation that is. Bit nervous about that. But there is nothing I can do to change it and I’ve got my emergency bolting plans in place.
I’ve got some excellent co-workers who I thoroughly enjoy. The only other female in the company (the other is on maternity leave) Darya is my age and speaks the best English of anyone in the company. It’s nice to have someone to commiserate with about the foibles of Arab/Kurdish men. The person who is training me is named Yevgar. He is starting an MBA program and needed to shed some of his responsibilities. I came along at the exact right time! It’s a bit odd to be consulted on new product lines and to be responsible for soothing ruffled feelings on both ends (ours and the suppliers). All part of growing up I suppose.
I will write more about the interesting social interactions that I have been observing and the oddities of the wealthy next time

No comments:

Post a Comment