Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Ahmad Awa


A few weeks ago, myself and a friend (Rachel) started out on what promised to be yet another adventure. It was relatively well planned, at least according my admittedly lax standards, with food in hand and a map to Ahmad Awa. This waterfall is by all intents and purposes on the Iranian/Iraqi border and is near where those American “hikers” were arrested a few years ago. We had no intention of venturing off the beaten path to experience that international incident. We were simply going to soak up the sight of water, a rare thing indeed here.

A Suly at night picture, just for fun


Aso, Rachel’s Kurdish friend, arrived at ridiculous o’clock for a Friday morning. And by ridiculous I mean 6 a.m. but my point still stands. It was already bright sunny and cheerful edging on hot by the time we got started. We were relaxing and chatting when the car died. Full stop. After several attempts to get it started again, we trooped out to look under the hood. None of us had any idea about what to look for. After about 20 minutes of staring a friendly taxi driver stopped to aid us. He pointed out a broken belt, shocked that we knew so little about car maintenance that we did not see it was missing. Randomly enough there was a spare belt in the trunk. Still, none of the necessary tools to replace it were to be had. Lucky for us we were waylaid right next to someone’s homestead. Aso took us back to see if we could avail ourselves of the famous Kurdish hospitality.
We lucked out. They welcomed us warmly and I got a lesson in something I have been itching to watch since I got here. The making of the traditional Kurdish bread. 

We were totally clueless but the women who were doing the baking were pros


They kindly offered to give us a hands on lesson, but I refused on the grounds that I did not want to cause a disaster, which I am sure it would have been. It is a surprisingly delicate operation and if not made thin enough it will go bad very quickly. Personally, I thought it was one of the best parts of the trip, though it no way planned. It was very fun watching Rachel practice her Kurdish while I sat there smiling and nodding. I have become gifted at pretending like I know what is happening.

The bread is so thin that you can see light through it


About two hours after we drifted to the unanticipated stop, we were on our way again. Unlucky for us, this meant that all the good picnic spots were taken and that we had to park about a kilometer away. Bit of a side note. When we went through the last checkpoint before the border, the guards at the check point took my residency card away with them to ensure that I would return. Made me a bit nervous but I got it back with no issues.

Of course I could not take pictures of the actual checkpoint, but this is good enough, right?


It was hot. Really really hot. In the end we hiked into the water.  I fully intend on seeing those falls someday, alas, it was not to be on that day. As we wandered around trying to find a spare couple of inches to perch near the water, it became increasingly clear to me just how popular a picnic spot this place is for the Kurds. There were probably thousands of people tucked under the greenery (Green! In Iraq! I nearly fell over in shock) whiling away time as the barbeque cooked large amounts of kebab. We accidentally wandered into what were apparently male only areas – have rarely felt so uncomfortable in my life. Eventually we simply made our way down to the water and sat on some rocks.

Very sweaty, but happy to be near water


Kurdish hospitality set in again as we were provided with kebab from this family, grapes and peaches from another, and watermelon from yet another. We did end up being in some pictures with a family in exchange but it was worth it. After about 2 hours of sitting there Rachel and I were actually cold, something we have not experienced in months.

Traditional Kurdish garb there, still have not figured out the turban thing entirely
The natural beauty of the area was astonishing. I kept taking pictures of the cliffs surrounding the falls all day. Between the glee of seeing green again and these tall reddish cliffs I was in picture heaven. It would be great if my photography ability matched, but you cannot have everything in life, I suppose.

At the end of the day, I posted on facebook about what a wonderful time I had. Rachel reminded me that it really was only a one day weekend. Amazing how much you can pack into those 24 hours if you are really determined to.

I remember doing this as a child



No comments:

Post a Comment